Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Thing #15: Wikis

Thing #15: Wikis

Wikis are a really inventive way for individuals to create a community of learning. By being able to alter, add, correct, or edit information on a given topic, people can collaboratively create a world of knowledge. However, there is a major drawback. Because anyone can edit an entry on a Wiki, it seems very likely that individuals other than professionals can add faulty information, thus decreasing the reliability and validity of the source.

When I was trying to edit and add to the Sandbox, I was very confused. I am not going to lie. It was confusing because I had to create a login and then edit someone else's post. In all honesty, I am not even sure if I did it correctly.

Because Wikis are awfully confusing to someone who has not had any training in using them, I probably would not utilize them in my classroom. It would take too long to train my students in how to use it. However, they are great ideas for professionals who wish to share information on given subjects around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment