Thursday, September 27, 2012

Thing #12: Google's Devices

Thing #12: Google's Devices

Let me just start by stating that I had no idea that Google offered so many different tools! I was overwhelmed by all of the neat applications that were available for free through Google. I cannot believe that it has taken me this long to learn about all of these tools.

I began by exploring Google Alerts. I thought it sounded extremely useful and found that it was extraordinarily easy to set up. All I did was go to Google Alerts and type in a subject that I am interested in. I could narrow the results by choosing to get alerts from blogs only or websites only. I could also choose if I wanted to get alerts daily, weekly, or monthly. I chose to get weekly alerts about any article that has to do with education. So, I will receive an email with links to different websites, blogs, and other media sources that contain references to education. Right after I set up my alerts, I received my first email. I have to say, it sure will cut down on the time it would have taken to search for and locate pertinent articles. 

The educational uses are incredible. Since I am going to be an English teacher, I could receive alerts about when a blogger uploads new English lesson plans. Similarly, I could get alerts about news articles referring to Common Core Standards or No Child Left Behind.  If I were a History teacher, I could get updated news on the war in Iraq and Afghanistan. The possibilities are endless. 

I also chose to use the Google Translate tool. Since there was no link that I could provide for readers to access what I translated, I will post a few different translations below. 

English:
Hello. My name is Miranda and I am learning about technology. It is really hard!

Spanish:
Hola. Mi nombre es Miranda y estoy aprendiendo sobre la tecnología. Es muy duro!

French:
Bonjour. Mon nom est Miranda et j'apprends sur la technologie. Il est vraiment difficile!

German:
Hallo. Mein Name ist Miranda und ich bin über die Technik zu lernen. Es ist wirklich schwer!

Chinese:
您好!我的名字是米兰达和我正在学习有关技术这是真的很难

Once again, the educational uses are endless. If you are teaching a class that contains multiple ELL students, you could translate your syllabus or any notes to parents into their native tongue. It would potentially open up the avenue of communication between you and the parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment