Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Thing #7: September 11-The World Kept Turning

Thing #7: September 11-The World Kept Turning

September 11th is a day that is forever burned into my memory. I can still remember exactly where I was sitting in my Algebra II class, who was occupying the seat beside me, and even the topic of the day (quadratic equations). I vaguely remember the feeling of drowsiness, struggling to stay awake during one of my teacher's most boring lessons. Then, as cliche as it seems, the world seemed to stop for a moment as we had another teacher rush into the room and tell us that the Twin Towers had been struck by two airplanes.

All was confusion-chaos. No one seemed to understand how such a tragedy could have happened and everyone sat awestruck as the information was slowly absorbed. Now, here we are 11 years later and most people can tell you exactly where they were when the world stopped turning.

So, for this Flickr project, I explored images of September 11. I used the key words "when the world stopped turning" and did not find an image that resounded with me. I tried looking through different groups that were available and still could not find an image that matched the nostalgia in my heart. So I used the keyword "September 11" and found a beautiful image of one of the most mellow and extraordinary sunsets. The caption below the photo states, "September 11, 2011. 10 years later..." (BrandonBphotography).

Today, Flickr allowed me to find an image of what September 11 means to me. It is a day of remembering those we have lost, which the blood red sunset symbolizes; it is a day to love our country; it is a day to reflect on the beauty around us despite the sadness in our hearts.

The world may have Paused for a dreadful instant when too many loved one left this earth, but we pressed Play and resumed spinning. We will never forget, but we can choose to see the beauty that surrounds us. 

If anyone would like to see the image that moved me today, it can be viewed at http://www.flickr.com/photos/bmbimages/6138871943/


Now, I know that this URL is linked to a web page and not to an actual image, but it was the most touching picture that I could find. Unfortunately, the photographer only allows the URL to the website to be shared, and not the actual image. So, I included it here so everyone can see it.

 I did find another image that was similar and can be found at
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2536/4185187020_e646f2cee3_z.jpg. This image was taken by Ariful H Bhuiyan.

No comments:

Post a Comment