Thursday, October 11, 2012

Thing #13: Zoho and Google Docs

Thing #13: Zoho and Google Docs

Hello all! So, I just finished exploring Zoho and Zoho Writer. I have to say, I think that Zoho is pretty neat, although it seems very similar to Microsoft Word. After exploring the site, I realized that the major advantage of Zoho is that is easily accessible from any computer because it is web-based. As long as you can sign in to your account, you can access your documents. Similarly, it is compatible with all different versions of a software, whereas Word is sometimes not compatible with older versions of the same software.

After I finished exploring Zoho, I went to Google Docs and created a drawing. I have never used the drawing tool, and I think it is such a great tool! It was easy to navigate, and would be a great tool to make comics for the students.  Located below is the drawing I created.

 Google Docs is a great way for students to work collaboratively. If they are assigned a group essay or a group presentation, they could use Google Docs to share information. Since it is web-based, the document can be shared and accessed by any group member. This will allow greater opportunities for collaborative work in the classroom, as well as open doors in the English classroom. 

I could have my students compose essays on Google Docs and place them in Editing and Revising teams. Each student could upload their essay and their team members could offer suggestions for revision and editing.

Of the two sites, I prefer Google Docs because it offers such a wide variety of tools. If I want to blog, I can go to Google; if I want to make a drawing or a presentation, I can go to Google; if I want to get email alerts, I can go to Google. It is such a well-rounded site that I prefer it to Zoho.

No comments:

Post a Comment